If your child has recently made the decision to study abroad in Spain, then the chances are that you are pretty keen to ensure they have everything in order to ensure their time away from home goes as smoothly as possible.

International study is more common now than ever, making the process fairly straightforward but there are some important considerations to bear in mind, particularly if your son or daughter is heading to Spain from America or the UK.

As parents and students around the world start to organise their Erasmus year, we have put together this handy guide to studying in Spain to help you get all the essential paperwork in order.


Do I Need a Visa to Study In Spain?


Perhaps the biggest worry, particularly for conscientious parents, is whether or not the student in question has all of their paperwork in order. Exam stress can often mean that this is left until the last minute, but as we are going to discuss, this could cause problems down the line.

A Visa is often the most important document of them all, but you only need one of these if you are from outside the EU. So, for now, UK students will be pleased to know that they won’t require a Visa to gain access to Spain and remain there for their Erasmus year or even their entire degree.

However, if you are coming from the USA or perhaps another country from outside of the European Union and wish to stay in the country for a period longer than three months, then this document is a legal requirement.


What Are Spain’s Visa Requirements?


First of all, it is important to remember that you will need to complete the required paperwork with the Spanish Embassy or failing that, the consulate in your country of origin. At the very minimum, you will need the following pieces of information:


  • Passport
  • Proof of attendance at a university in Spain
  • Completed Visa application
  • Valid Photo ID / Driver’s License
  • Birth Certificate


Do I Need a Guarantor To Study In Spain?


There are quite a few myths out there about guarantor requirements to study in Spain, but you will be pleased to hear that this is not a necessity and won’t impact any application for a Visa or to a Spanish university.

If you are applying for grant or loan through the Spanish system, then this may be required when seeking finance, but when it comes to gaining access to the education system and remaining in the country, you will not need a guarantor.


Award Winning Student Accommodation In Spain 


If this quick guide to helping your child prepare for studying abroad has been helpful, why not find out more about our acclaimed student accommodation in Valencia and Madrid?

We have all the modern facilities you would expect from a student residence, from state-of-the-art security to private fitness suites. Discover more by clicking here.